Fw: Engine Room Explosion, Power blackout could have caused Italian cruise disaster

Forwarded.----- Original Message ----- From: ranger681@comcast.net
To: Don Greenlaw
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: Engine Room Explosion, Power blackout could have caused Italian cruise disaster

Don

Thanks for forwarding that info from Hollenbeck and thak him also.

As I said, I was the Science Advisor to CJTFME and was onboard another ship in the CIC when this engagement played out. The presence of US Warships in the Persian Gulf was the result of Operation Ernest Will, designed to ensure that the Straits of Hormuz were not closed or controlled by the Iranians. When the event started the intercom was turned on so that all could hear the secure radio traffic between Vincennes and other ships. The Captain of the Vincennes was actually encouraged to launch an intercept much sooner than he did or at least, he had authority to do so. The Iranian aircraft appeared to be, and was classified as, an attack aircraft both in flight profile and radar return characteristics and it was given international warnings to change course from what was thought to be an intercept with the Vincennes or one or the other of several other US ships in the area. Radar operators were sweating. Chiefs were poised. Well after the "threat" aircraft passed the launch decision envelope, the Vincennes Captain ordered launch. Under the perceived circumstances, he waited as long as he dared and probably longer than most of us would. All of this, I think including his heaving breathing, was on the socalled 1MC internal ship broadcast. There was a short period of relief and jubilation. Only after the debri began to rain down was the error determined. The mood turned to one of depression and what now?? Then began rumors, attempts at explanation, accussations of coverup, and of course an official investigation and exploitation of all of the Vincennes' radar records etc. This was led by the Naval Surface Warfare Development Center Dahlgren VA and at one time I knew most of the story of that but I would be reluctant to try and repeat it now.
v/r

Carroll D. Childers P.E.
Consultant (540) 842-4937
Maj Gen (Ret)
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest America become bankrupt. People must again learn to work,instead of living on public assistance." Author unknown but I like it