Fwd: Hamama Matters to research

Begin forwarded message:

From: Carolynn Beck <carolynn.beck@gmail.com>
Date: March 11, 2010 6:01:18 PM EST
To: Haytham Faraj <Haytham@puckettfaraj.com>
Subject: Re: Hamama Matters to research

Haytham,

Sorry in advance for the long email. I'm sending you some notes on the issues you had wanted me to discuss in my motion. I also wanted to bounce some of these ideas off you and see what you think/if you have any suggestions for strengthening my arguments:

1. Authentication of the Documents: The authenticity of a document can be established through use of a witness who did not create the document/wasn't the records keeper -- the courts don't seem very strict in their application of the authentication requirement, keeping it very minimal. But we could argue that these documents are not what the Government purports them to be: documents and letters recorded in furtherance of a conspiracy in which Defendant was involved, and instead are documents fabricated by the IIS to implicate Defendant in a conspiracy which he was not participating in, thus rendering them inauthentic. There would be a fine line that the judge would need to walk between the documents being inauthentic and our argument going towards the weight of the evidence (to be decided by the jury, assuming they could still be admitted under one of the hearsay exceptions). Of course, our motion would argue that these documents are simply not authentic because they are not what the Government presents them to be, and keep it at that. Would you still like me to argue against the use of Mr. Sargon as a qualified witness to authenticate the documents?

2. Business Records Exception: Please tell me if I'm missing/ misunderstanding something, but it seems from my reading of the caselaw and from the deposition of Mr. Sargon that he might be considered a qualified witness under the Business Records Exception since he was in the IIS for so long. However, the 6th circuit has stated in US v. Jenkins that "unless" the source of information or method/circumstances of preparation indicate a lack of trustworthiness, that records are admissible once 4 factors (regularly conducted business activities, kept in regular course of business, regular practice of business was to make the memorandums, and made by a person with knowledge of the transaction or from information transmitted by a person with knowledge). This seems to imply that even if all these elements of the business records exception WERE met, if the source of information or method/circumstances of preparation indicate a lack of trustworthiness, the records are inadmissible.

We could argue that the evidence does not meet the indicia of reliability that generally attaches to a business record because the organization that created these records had a strong motivation to fabricate and maintain records for the sole purpose of eliminating those who opposed the existing governmental regime. I know you were hesitant about giving too much info to the government about our strategy, so please let me know if you'd prefer I take this part out or reword it, or be careful about mentioning certain parts of our argument. If you'd prefer, I could maybe speak in general to the motivations of an intelligence agency to fabricate information, pointing to the fact that even our own intelligence agencies will conduct misinformation campaigns abroad for their own needs/goals. We would use this to distinguish the evidence proffered in this case from evidence that was admitted in cases like Air Land Forwarders, where the business actually does have the motivation to keep accurate records.

Otherwise, I'm hoping once I get a chance to Skype with Ibrahim, I can put some more detail into this argument to convince the judge that the business records and residual exceptions do not apply because the records are so unreliable. In addition, this would strengthen our argument against admitting the docs under the coconspirator exception because we would argue that these records don't establish much more than the fact that the IIS wanted our government to prosecute people such as our client who they knew to oppose the Hussein regime.

I guess where I'm running into trouble is in determining what information I need to/can include in our response to the government's motion in order to make this argument a strong one. Also, what would happen if we made this argument; would we need Ibrahim to testify in front of the judge as to the unreliability before we can get these documents excluded? Will we also show additional evidence as to Hamama's opposition to the Hussein regime that would tend to show that the IIS had the motivation we're claiming they do?

3. Multiple levels of hearsay re the business records exception: general rules of evidence state that each level of hearsay must be admissible under an exception. So if there are any documents that have multiple levels of hearsay, the Government must prove that each level of hearsay is admissible. I actually had some trouble finding caselaw discussing this at length.

US v. Payne (437 F. 3d 540) noted in passing (but admitted the evid) that where an out of court statement is nested within another, Rule 805 requires that both statements are admissible. There was a case that mentioned double hearsay in conjunction with business records, and noted that it was only relevant when the record relied on info collected by someone outside the company. (SEC v. Conaway, 2009) Another case, In Re Printup, a bankruptcy case, excluded business records stating that the Defendant had stolen a car because the business records included a declarant's out-of-court statement which was not within an exception for each level of hearsay.

So, it looks like we could probably get some of the documents excluded on the basis of multiple levels of hearsay... assuming the Government can't prove that another exception applies to the second or third layer of hearsay within the documents. Would we need to point specific documents out in our response, or do we just generally state that all documents with multiple levels of hearsay should be excluded absent a showing from the government that each level of hearsay falls under a valid exception to the hearsay rules?

4. Residual Exception: I found a few cases in the 6th cir. stating that the residual rules were drafted to apply only when exceptional guarantees of trustworthiness exist and when high degrees of probativeness and necessity are present, and that the Senate Committee stated that the residual exceptions were to be used only rarely and in exceptional circumstances (or other discussions that seem to indicate the burden on the proponent of a residual exception is extremely heavy). Thus, I think we could apply the prior arguments about unreliability of the documents and the high likelihood in our circumstances that these documents are not in fact what the government purports them to be to the argument that the residual exception doesn't apply here either. --another thing I should note here. The Crawford decision might change how the court applies the residual exception, though it's unclear how -- all the cases discussing the admission of evidence under the residual evidence are pre-Crawford (though I'll go back and search again to make sure.) But I can't imagine that Crawford would make the residual exception any more likely to apply, more likely that it WON'T apply.

I emailed this to you so that you could mull them over when you have the time. Please let me know what you think whenever you have a chance.

Thank you,

Carolynn Beck
(202) 316-1367