RE: Interesting fact and interesting rumor

I do get Maj Sip's joke, but to get serious on everyone for a second, as I
discussed with Neal, by far the most likely outcome of our most recent writ
appeal is a one-sentence denial without prejudice--though I counted within
that box the possibility of a one-sentence denial accompanied by a somewhat
longer concurring opinion by one or two judges.  I estimated the chance of a
one-sentence denial without prejudice as about 85 to 90%.  The next most
likely outcome, accounting for all but about 1% of the delta, is an oral
argument in the case.  The remaining 1% would be an order providing a more
thorough analysis of the writ appeal without oral argument.  I believe our
only chance of success (which is quite small) is through the oral argument
route.  I told Neal that an oral argument at which Judge Effron didn't
participate would be almost impossible for us to win.  But with the new news
about Judge Cox (if true), I no longer believe that is the case -- we could
potentially win with an Erdmann-Ryan-Cox majority.

Semper Fi,
DHS

Dwight H. Sullivan
Acting Chief