Re: SSgt Lopez Update

Agreed.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Haytham <haytham@puckettfaraj.com> wrote:
Stop wasting your time on plea negotiations. Lets just go spank them.

On Jul 28, 2011, at 7:44 PM, Bret White <usmc.esq@gmail.com> wrote:

Haytham:

I met with both Capt Hoover and 1stLt McGuire.  So far, they're saying that Col Jackson "wants this to go the course" and whatever the outcome is, then "justice is served".  They are saying they'll have to 'sell' him on a deal and the way to do that is with a proffer regarding GySgt Kelton as to the following:

- That SSgt Lopez witnessed GySgt Kelton 1) use profanity at or in the presence of OCANDs, 2) took a picture with her cell phone (or saw the picture on GySgt Kelton's phone after), 3) tell the OCANDs not to report the two of them, 4) throw OCAND weapon(s) to the ground, and that 5) GySgt Kelton admitted to SSgt Lopez the facts around the "foot locker drill".

I think she can talk to points 1, 2, and 5 only.  But, if she is willing to or not is another story.  TCs say that without the terms regarding GySgt Kelton in the deal, then there is no deal.

In terms of pleas: they want Guilty for Charge I, specs 1-7 and 9.  I was able to argue on some of the others to get them to back off on them.  But, in meeting with her, SSgt Lopez only wanted to plead to 2 (maybe going to 3 or 4) because she feels very strongly that what she did is not "wrongful" per the language in the specs due to the command endorsing the actions.  I tried to convey to the TCs that she just wants to get her side of the story out and he can find her guilty at NJP even if she pleads not guilty to a lot of them.  No luck.

After meeting with them, I pretty much feel like these terms are a non-starters.  SSgt Lopez will not be willing to plead to all of those.  I might be able to convince her IF it weren't for the GySgt Kelton terms.  (We could probably get TCs to back off on one or two.)  But, the GySgt Kelton terms are probably deal-breakers for our client.  She wants to have nothing to do with "assisting" Col Jackson with anything

I can convey this to her in the morning, but I wanted you to get a chance to review it all first.  I think she feels like she's the victim of circumstance here and this "deal" doesn't go anywhere towards helping her in that.

Side note: I learned that Training Command is paying for these two trials because OCS requested their financial help.  That's surely why the SJA from TCOM is weighing in on a deal.

I'll send you a separate e-mail shortly regarding witnesses so you can file our witness list tomorrow.

S/f,

Bret