From: Haytham Faraj [mailto:haytham@puckettfaraj.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 14:16
To: White Capt Bret A
Subject: RE: Lopez discovery

Whom have you interviewed so far?  I spoke to Crista today.  I am uncertain how the Government intends to prove this case given her testimony and recollections.  I understand that they don't intend to call her.  I want to make sure that she is produced.  With respect to Kelton, before we ask that she be deposed we need to ask that she be immunized and ordered to testify.
The reason is she's an exculpatory witness and she gave orders that our client followed which raises the defense of obedience to orders under R.C.M.
912.  Every specification in which Lopez is charged Kelton is present as well. Kraics told me that she doesn't believe Lopez would have done any of the things that are alleged without Kelton's domineering presence and influence.  On the one issue that Kraics points a finger at Lopez, orders violation to get the platoon into the barracks, showered and changed, she cannot say whether she saw who gave the platoon the order to run, whether it was the student staff, Kelton or Lopez.  Kelton is a necessary, relevant and material witness to all the alleged charges.

I am attaching the statement from Lopez memorializing the conversation Kraics had with her.  Kraics clearly violated Lopez' 5th Amendment right to remain silent and against self incrimination.  She told me that Lopez made admissions.  I want you to think about how we should handle this.  I am thinking of a motion to dismiss for violation of a fundamental right or a UCI motion for interference with the ACR.  I am open to suggestions.