From: Rick Weidman [mailto:rweidman@vva.org]
Sent: Monday, April 11, 2011 7:33 PM
To: Bob Hesser; Charles Jones; Dick Richards; Joe Wynn; Wolford Lisa; Bob Yaap; Valerie Lewis; Frank Campanaro; saldanalupe@aol.com; james wilfong; paul@ignosh.com; John Finn; jkl@asdv.org; Bill Picard; Marc Goldschmitt
Cc: Scott Denniston
Subject: H.R. 1392

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Fairness to Veterans Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. ASSISTANCE FOR VETERANS AND VETERAN-OWNED BUSINESSES.

(a) Federal Government Contract Opportunities- In evaluating any bid or proposal received in response to a solicitation relating to a Federal contract, the head of a Federal department or agency shall provide to a veteran or veteran-owned business any preference that any individual or business is eligible to receive with respect to that contract, if that preference takes into consideration race or gender, without regard to whether the veteran or veteran-owned business would otherwise qualify for that preference.

(b) State and Local Government Contract Opportunities- As a condition of receiving Federal funding, in evaluating any bid or proposal received in response to a solicitation relating to a State or local contract that involves the use of Federal funding, the head of a State or local government shall provide to a veteran or veteran-owned business any preference that any individual or business is eligible to receive with respect to that contract, if that preference takes into consideration race or gender, without regard to whether the veteran or veteran-owned business would otherwise qualify for that preference.

(c) Definitions- In this Act, the following definitions apply:

(1) VETERAN- The term `veteran' has the meaning given that term in section 101(2) of title 38, United States Code.

(2) VETERAN-OWNED BUSINESS- The term `veteran-owned business' means a business--

(A) not less than 51 percent of which is owned by one or more veterans or, in the case of any publicly owned business, not less than 51 percent of the stock of which is owned by one or more veterans; and

(B) the management and daily business operations of which are controlled by one or more veterans.