A sad day in Washington

Because Freedom Can't Protect Itself
Dear Haytham,

Sign the ACLU's "Stop Targeting Religious Minorities" pledge, and declare your opposition to intolerance.

Over the last decade, many sad and seriously misguided steps have been taken in the name of fighting terrorism. Yesterday in Congress, we witnessed a disappointing and alarming addition to that list.

Congressman Peter King (R-NY) called a high-profile hearing on the "radicalization" of Muslim-Americans. We know — and he should know — that no good can come from needlessly targeting an entire religious community.

This hearing and the series of additional ones Representative King has indicated he will hold won't make America any safer, but they will leave us more divided. Despite pleas from civil rights groups and law enforcement officials regarding these dangerous and divisive hearings, Representative King is determined to move forward.

Today, I hope you'll help amplify the outcry regarding these discriminatory hearings. Sign the ACLU's "Stop Targeting Religious Minorities" pledge.

Representative King is using his powerful post as head of the House Homeland Security Committee to subject the entire American Muslim community to public scrutiny through discriminatory hearings based on prejudicial ideas that wrongly equate belief in Islam with terrorism.

It's as simple as this: Congress has no business singling out the religious beliefs of one group of Americans. That's why the ACLU is demanding that Representative King cease holding hearings that target any specific religious or ideological group based on unsubstantiated theories about "radicalization."

Let's make it clear that protecting our First Amendment freedoms will both honor our values and keep us safe.

Sign our pledge now. Help stop the targeting of religious minorities.

This kind of discrimination won't end unless you and the ACLU put a stop to it. Together, we have to make sure Congress honors the Constitution's promise of equality.

Thanks for speaking out,

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director, ACLU

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.