Meet Major Margaret Witt

Because Freedom Can't Protect Itself
Dear ACLU Supporter,

Major Margaret Witt
Meet Major Margaret Witt.
  • In 1993, as an Air Force Nurse, she was the "poster child" for the Air Force Nurse Corps recruitment flyer.
  • In 2003, she was awarded an Air Force Commendation Medal for saving the life of a Defense Department employee who collapsed aboard a flight from Bahrain.
  • In 2006, she was fired by the Defense Department. Why? Because of the discriminatory policy known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."
Maj. Witt is one of 13,500 men and women whose military careers were prematurely terminated because of this policy.

The outrage of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy has gone on long enough. Contact your senators right now and urge the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The ACLU is helping Maj. Witt challenge her military discharge in court so she can continue to serve the country she loves.

Her story is a dramatic reminder of how unfair and counterproductive "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" is—and why Congress needs to put an end to it.

Contact your senators right now. Urge the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

The House of Representatives has already acted. Now, we just need the Senate to follow suit and put this critical equal rights measure on President Obama's desk. If enough people act, this can be one of the most important civil liberties breakthroughs of 2010.

The country is lucky to have someone like Maj. Witt serve in the military. As she puts it, "Wounded people never asked me about my sexual orientation. They were just glad to see me there."

It's time for Congress to do the right thing. Stop punishing brave and loyal Americans who want to serve their country.

Contact your senators right now. Urge the repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Thank you for speaking out,

Laura Murphy Laura Murphy
Laura W. Murphy, Director
ACLU Washington Office

Donate Today
Tell a Friend

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.