Re: Dr. Ken Sorrick - Superintendent for Dist 117

Thanks H, I told the Super I would find out if the Email was legitimate.  I will call him on Monday and tell him it is, and that he may call you directly at your phone number.  I'll also advise him I'm not authorized to speak further of the case, if he asks more questions.  Thanks for explaining... :)  I hope your nephew is OK...

On May 14, 2010, at 1:59 PM, Haytham Faraj wrote:

I am sorry that you were ambushed by this.  Let me address your concerns which are valid.

This is a legal matter.  Hence the use of the letterhead.  I sent a letter as well as an email.  I am not bound by his internal procedures.  The only procedural approach we are required to follow is when we sue Federal and state agencies.  Nothing prevents us from communicating by email or letter to a responsible principle to address violations of the law.  This was not a threatening letter or a lawsuit.  It was a follow up letter to one that my nephew’s parents –my sister and brother in law- sent to the Dean of Students to address their concerns.  That letter was ignored.  They then asked me for advice.  I recommended they meet with the Dean to discuss the matter.  He ignored them and recommended that my nephew see the school’s psychologist.  I was aghast.  My nephew was being suspended for defending himself from an assault and racial epithets that the Dean did not deny.  Nonetheless, I recommended that my sister take my nephew to an independent pediatric psychologist just to be sure.  She made an appointment with a psychologist who was recommended by their family doctor.  The psychologist came to the conclusion that my nephew did not have any behavioral problems nor anger management problems.  He was simply frustrated because he had been suspended five times for doing nothing more than responding to attacks by a couple of kids who were raised by racist parents.  My letter and email were addressed to the Dean and not the superintendent.  They did not include threats but requests that he and the school’s board meet the parents to confer and discuss their concerns.  The fact that he called and yelled at you because he’s being a good commander is more indication of a system that is rotten and leadership that is more concerned with its own survival than the welfare of a child trusted to their care.  Instead of addressing the genuine concerns of an 11 year old child victim, he is upset that his “staff” received an email outlining the facts and requesting a meeting.  The email was not addressed to the staff; it was sent specifically to the Dean.  I am furious that he yelled at you.  I do not intend to call him because I am angry and do not want to communicate with him in anger.  I’ll wait for the response to my letter.

Once again, I apologize for you having to field an angry phone call.  If he calls again, please give him my number.

From: Marcy [mailto:marcy@puckettfaraj.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 12:32 PM
To: Faraj Haytham
Subject: Dr. Ken Sorrick - Superintendent for Dist 117

H, I was wholly unprepared when I answered the phone.  I cannot diffuse situations or manage client / agency concerns without knowledge.  Communication would help me a lot.  I can't help you unless I'm prepared to do so.

FYI:  Dr. Sorrick is use to certified letters being sent from attorneys, not Emails - he was disappointed with the approach.  I believe he would not have gotten so upset if he had received a certified letter and it had gone through the proper channels.  He mentioned the proper channels being to work through the Dean of Students, then the Vice-Principal and Principal.   He was aghast at the threats included in your Email.  He was also being a good commander, because your Email upset his staff so he decided to call and inquiry to the authenticity of the Email first before turning it over to his Attorney.  Clearly he was upset as well.  He did say optional courses of action would have been for the Attorney to request a meeting with the parents, which would have been accommodated.

Please don't go in with an adversarial approach.  I tried my best to diffuse the situation.  I told him I would call him back, because he wanted to know if someone had highjacked our Emails and it was a scam.  He is in meetings all day today and it may be best to reach him on Monday 5/17/10.  His phone Number: 708-233-5739

Options to help me, help you in the future:

Option 1.  Inform me when you associate the Law Firm of Puckett & Faraj, PC with correspondence for friends, families, associates, etc.  (just need the basics ; who (client) and who (opposition), when, where (What state), what action requested, subject title)

Option 2.  Delete reference to the Law Firm of Puckett & Faraj including our DC Office and Phone Numbers and place a second signature block so adversarial or investigative organizations, agencies, people, don't call me when you intend them to respond directly to you; especially regarding issues outside of a contract with the Firm.

If you have a suggestion, please let me know.
Thx, M