Bookkeeping Process

Nick, Thank you for setting up Mo to put QB for PC on the Server.  Please have him segregate it and put in two admin users /passwords.  One user labeled "Bookkeeper" and one "PuckettFaraj".

I've got Kathryn Greco coming to the office at 1000 on Friday morning to "configure" the QB and upload the data.  We will need access to the server.  (Via a laptop or at the server?).  We will also need instruction on how to find it on the server.

As of Friday, we will be carrying duplicate books.  That means communication is more critical now so I don't make a mistake.  On 1 Jan 2011, the ruling program will be Quick Books PC on the server until then it is a duplicate of the Quickbook for MAC.

To effectively upload all the data on Friday, I need a complete list of TM # and associated Client Names to make sure my QB version is up to date.

Additionally, the bookkeeper will need the following spreadsheet once a week.  Please look at this and start using it this week so we can get use to it and adapt it as necessary.  If I was picking a day to do the bookkeeping, say Friday mornings at 0900, I would want a completed spreadsheet covering the last week of activity closed out the night before.

Here's the spread sheet.  The second printed page is the item numbers to identify what the charge is on the AMEX or the Phone... (ie. a recent COSTCO charge is office supplies and equipment (the Frig and microwave) - those two numbers are 6040 and 6050).

Note the File name (Cashin-Out-Bookeeper.xlsx) - Please add the Firm and calendar time that the spreadsheet applies to:  e.g. The nomenclature for last Friday to this Thursday would be:  P&F-Cashin-Out-3-9Dec10.xlsx.  If this goes to

The second attachment is the Personal Expense sheet that every attorney or employee needs to fill out if they put anything on their personal cards or pay cash for something.  This along with the receipts must be submitted.  I leave it up to Neal and Haytham as to how often that happens, either monthly or quarterly.  Note the file name (NAME-CY4-10_CashExp.xls = name, calendar quarter #, year - cash expenses e.g. Puckett-CY4-10_CashExp.xls).

The new bookkeeper (yet to be named) will not be receiving Emails from anyone except Neal (or Haytham when he is in DC).  Neal will send them the weekly statements and a list of all the checks he wrote that week.  In other words, they will need the information "pushed" to them on these forms (which can be electronic) but no more getting 15 Emails every week and having to sort through them to find the information for the books.

Thanks, M

Marcelyn Atwood
Business Manager

The Law Firm of Puckett & Faraj, PC
1800 Diagonal Road, Suite 210
Alexandria, VA 22314

703-706-9566 ; FAX 202-318-7652 ; marcy@puckettfaraj.com
Please View our Website:  www.puckettfaraj.com and follow us on Twitter:  http://twitter.com/puckettfaraj

The information contained in this electronic message is confidential, and is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying of disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please notify Puckett & Faraj, P.C. at 703-706-9566 or via a return the e-mail to sender.  You are required to purge this E-mail immediately without reading or making any copy or distribution.