From: Nancy Bistany [mailto:nbistany@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2011 1:38 PM
To: 'Kevin Duff'; 'John Murray'
Cc: 'Kathy Pritchard'
Subject: Feb 14, 2011- Cynowa vs CSSS - motion before Judge Maddux

Good afternoon –

Attached please find the final electronic files for the motion before Judge Maddux on February 14, 2011.  I have also attached a color PDF of the reporter’s certificate.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Have a good afternoon.

Nancy

Nancy L. Bistany, CSR, RPR, FCRR

BRS_Logo

nancy@bistanyreporting.com

312.280.0825 - Old Town

312.551.9192 - Chicago Loop

312.415.8004 - Cell

Bistany Reporting Service

100 North LaSalle Street

Suite 1600

Chicago, IL 60602

Chicago Loop

Bistany Reporting Service

1512 North Hudson Avenue - #1

Chicago, IL 60610

Old Town

Schedule on-line at www.bistanyreporting.com

Picture (Device Independent Bitmap)

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:  This communication, and any attachments hereto and/or hyperlinks contained herein, is intended for use only by the individual or entity to whom this communication is explicitly addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any use, dissemination, disclosure, distribution, forwarding or copying of this communication (including attachments and/or hyperlinks, if any) is strictly prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please notify me immediately by replying to sender and then immediately permanently delete all copies of this communication.

                                                                             1

               1    STATE OF ILLINOIS  )
                                       )  SS:
               2    COUNTY OF C O O K  )

               3           IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF COOK COUNTY, ILLINOIS
                                 COUNTY DEPARTMENT, LAW DIVISION
               4

               5    CHRISTOPHER S. CYNOWA,          )
                                                    )
               6                   Plaintiff,       )
                                                    )
               7         -vs-                       )  No. 08 L 000403
                                                    )
               8    CSSS, INC., (CLIENT SERVER      )
                    SOFTWARE SOLUTION d/b/a         )
               9    CSSS.NET), LISA WOLFORD,        )
                    WILLIAM F. SLATER,              )
              10                                    )
                                   Defendants.      )
              11

              12

              13

              14

              15

              16

              17              REPORT OF PROCEEDINGS had in the above-entitled

              18    matter before the HONORABLE WILLIAM D. MADDUX, Judge of

              19    said Court, on February 14, 2011, commencing at the hour

              20    of 11:17 a.m.

              21

              22

              23

              24

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             2

               1    PRESENT:

               2
                         BY:  MR. PETER V. BUSTAMANTE
               3              150 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 690
                              Chicago, Illinois 60601
               4              (312) 346-2072
                              pvbust@bustamantelaw.com
               5
                                   appeared on behalf of the Plaintiff;
               6

               7         RACHLIS DURHAM DUFF & ADLER, LLC
                         BY:  MR. KEVIN B. DUFF
               8              MR. JOHN E. MURRAY
                              542 South Dearborn Street, Suite 900
               9              Chicago, Illinois 60605
                              (312) 733-3390
              10              kduff@rddlaw.net
                              jmurray@rddlaw.net
              11
                                   appeared on behalf of the Defendants.
              12

              13

              14

              15

              16

              17

              18

              19

              20

              21

              22

              23

              24

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             3

               1    (Proceedings in open court.)

               2           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Good morning, your Honor.

               3                 Peter Bustamante on behalf of the plaintiff.

               4           MR. DUFF:  Good morning, your Honor.

               5                 Kevin Duff on behalf of the defendants.

               6           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Your Honor, this is the

               7    plaintiff's motion to quash a notice and a subpoena for

               8    the continued evidence deposition of a Mr. Larry Carver.

               9                 Mr. Carver is a witness to this defamation

              10    case, and his evidence deposition was taken in July of

              11    2009.  At that point, your Honor, over 150 pages of

              12    testimony were taken.  The defense had approximately 44

              13    pages of cross-examination and at the end of that said,

              14    that's all we have.  Thereafter, there was a redirect and

              15    a short recross.

              16                 Now they have issued a notice, attaching a

              17    Cook County subpoena for a witness that lives in Virginia.

              18    We don't even know if the witness is going to accept that

              19    subpoena.  And if he doesn't, how are they going to

              20    enforce it?  We will be forced to travel to Virginia for

              21    naught based on this notice.  The notice is also defective

              22    in that it says it may be recorded by video.  They don't

              23    name the videographer.

              24                 They are, frankly, seeking to reopen

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             4

               1    discovery -- I mean, not reopen testimony -- to reopen

               2    testimony.  And they haven't provided the Court with the

               3    information of the facts upon which the Court can exercise

               4    discretion to determine if this witness' testimony should

               5    be reopened and, if so, into what areas.

               6                 For all those reasons, Judge, we ask that you

               7    quash the notice and the subpoena for this witness.

               8           MR. DUFF:  Your Honor, Kevin Duff for the

               9    defendants.

              10                 As Mr. Bustamante indicated, this was a

              11    deposition that was taken as an evidence deposition in

              12    July of 2009.  At that time, this was the first deposed

              13    witness in the entire case.

              14                 Subsequently we had 18 months of discovery,

              15    and this case is set for trial on April 11, 2011.  As I

              16    say, most of all the discovery in this case took place

              17    after Mr. Carver's deposition was noticed as an evidence

              18    deposition and taken.  And this was noticed at the

              19    plaintiff's instance, not the defendants'.

              20                 At that time that we took -- that the

              21    evidence deposition was taken, it was known by both sides

              22    that the deposition had not been concluded.  In fact, both

              23    sides knew that there were questions that the witness had

              24    refused to answer.

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             5

               1                 And on the record at the close of the

               2    deposition, my associate who was present for the

               3    deposition indicated that she was going to reserve the

               4    right to recall the witness.  And if your Honor would like

               5    to see that on the record, I can show your Honor.  So it

               6    was clear to everybody that this deposition was not

               7    completed.

               8                 And in addition to that, the effort here is

               9    to try to foreclose --

              10           THE COURT:  What's this witness' position in the

              11    case?

              12           MR. DUFF:  The witness is a third party, your

              13    Honor.

              14           THE COURT:  What's his involvement?

              15           MR. DUFF:  His involvement is he was a former top

              16    manager of my corporate client defendant.  And actually,

              17    since the time he was deposed, we've come to develop our

              18    understanding of what his significance to this case is,

              19    including after the point he was deposed we learned that

              20    he was providing confidential and privileged information

              21    from one of the defendants to plaintiff's counsel.  We

              22    need an opportunity to ask him about that.

              23                 We also know that based on evidence that this

              24    particular witness provided to plaintiff's counsel, a new

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             6

               1    defendant was added to the case.

               2                 So, you know, the opportunity -- we're

               3    talking about an evidence deposition.  If plaintiff wishes

               4    to make objections to any questions that we ask, they can

               5    make that on the record or they can bring a motion in

               6    limine.

               7                 We have 60 days before trial is going to take

               8    place in this case.  Yes, it's true that this witness is

               9    out in Virginia, but we actually noticed the deposition to

              10    take place in Virginia for the witness' convenience so he

              11    wouldn't have to travel back to Illinois.  In fact, this

              12    witness already consented to the jurisdiction of this

              13    Court, because when the evidence deposition was originally

              14    taken, he voluntarily came to Illinois.

              15           THE COURT:  Did you serve an Illinois subpoena on

              16    this witness?

              17           MR. DUFF:  Initially he was served with an Illinois

              18    subpoena by the plaintiff's counsel in 2009.  He accepted

              19    that, came to Illinois, and his evidence deposition was

              20    initiated.

              21           THE COURT:  Here?

              22           MR. DUFF:  Here.  We have simply reissued a new --

              23           THE COURT:  Have you been in touch with this

              24    witness?

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             7

               1           MR. DUFF:  They are in touch with this witness.

               2           THE COURT:  How about you?

               3           MR. DUFF:  No, this witness hasn't communicated

               4    with us.

               5           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Judge, he did issue an Illinois

               6    subpoena.  It's an attachment to the motion.

               7                 One other thing I forgot, your Honor, is that

               8    through the subpoena, they attached a rider duces tecum.

               9    They're seeking to reopen discovery.

              10                 This witness is -- it's supposed to be an

              11    evidence deposition testimony as in trial.  They can't use

              12    a subpoena duces tecum to bring new things that they never

              13    obtained during a long period of discovery, which closed

              14    January of this year, to get new information.

              15           THE COURT:  No, no, wait.  They could do another

              16    evidence deposition of the same witness as their witness.

              17           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  But they haven't done that.  Yes,

              18    you're right, they can do that, but that's not what

              19    they're doing.  They want to reopen --

              20           THE COURT:  I thought they were going to take

              21    another deposition.

              22           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  That's not what they want.

              23           MR. DUFF:  We are, your Honor.

              24           THE COURT:  Reopening or taking another dep?

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             8

               1           MR. DUFF:  Well, I'm not sure that that's a

               2    meaningful distinction.

               3           THE COURT:  The other one -- it is.  The other one

               4    is over with, because there you could cross-examine.

               5           MR. DUFF:  And on the record in that --

               6           THE COURT:  If you're calling him as your witness

               7    for another deposition, you can do direct examination; you

               8    can't cross.

               9           MR. DUFF:  Okay.  On the record in the previous

              10    deposition, we reserved the right to continue the

              11    deposition.

              12           THE COURT:  I'm not sure you can do that.

              13           MR. DUFF:  Well, it was --

              14           THE COURT:  What was the reason for reserving the

              15    right to ask more questions?

              16           MR. DUFF:  Well, there were a few reasons.  One,

              17    that it was the end of the day, and the witness had to

              18    return to Washington.

              19           THE COURT:  That's not good enough.  What else?

              20           MR. DUFF:  In addition to that, the witness refused

              21    to answer questions on the record that we reserved the

              22    right to ask the Court to ask him to answer should he --

              23           THE COURT:  Well, maybe he shouldn't have to.  Have

              24    we argued that out?

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                             9

               1           MR. DUFF:  We haven't argued that, because we

               2    didn't want to have to come in to the Court in a piecemeal

               3    fashion.  We wanted to finish the deposition and come back

               4    to the Court.

               5           THE COURT:  Well, I haven't heard a good enough

               6    reason to reopen the deposition yet.

               7           MR. DUFF:  Well, as I say, in addition to that

               8    fact, you know, this witness -- as I indicated, this

               9    evidence deposition was taken, you know, 18 months ago

              10    before all the discovery in this case took place.  You

              11    know, we've discovered subsequently information that we

              12    feel we need to be able to ask this witness about.

              13                 Now, you know, I think it would be

              14    appropriate to allow us to continue the deposition which

              15    was never concluded and on the record stating so, but if

              16    your Honor is going to not allow us to do it in that

              17    fashion, then absolutely we would like to call the witness

              18    ourselves and ask him these points.

              19                 We need the opportunity, your Honor, to ask

              20    this witness all the questions that we didn't ask him.

              21           THE COURT:  Yes, take another deposition.  The

              22    other one is closed.  That's over.

              23           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Thank you, your Honor.

              24           MR. DUFF:  So, your Honor, in terms of -- the

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                            10

               1    motion before the Court is to quash the subpoena that we

               2    issued.  My understanding is that's being denied.  We can

               3    take his deposition.

               4           THE COURT:  Uh-huh.

               5           MR. DUFF:  Thank you, your Honor.

               6           THE COURT:  The second thing is if you have an

               7    impeachment that you can use on this witness --

               8           MR. DUFF:  Absolutely.

               9           THE COURT:  -- the new rules seem to give you the

              10    right to impeach the witness, even though you're calling

              11    the witness, if it's damaging to your case.

              12           MR. DUFF:  I agree with that, your Honor.

              13           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Your Honor, clarification, please.

              14                 This subpoena is for the continued evidence

              15    deposition.

              16           THE COURT:  No, that's --

              17           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  That's quashed?

              18           THE COURT:  -- not what we're doing.

              19           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  That's right.

              20           THE COURT:  He's going to be able to take an

              21    evidence deposition to cover the points that he thinks he

              22    wants to use this witness for.

              23           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  I understand that.  He should

              24    issue a new subpoena for that, because this subpoena is no

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                            11

               1    good, right?  This is for the continued evidence

               2    deposition --

               3           THE COURT:  It's not enforceable.

               4           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Okay.  Very good.

               5           THE COURT:  The --

               6           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  So motion to quash is granted, and

               7    he can issue a new subpoena for whatever --

               8           THE COURT:  Well, no.  All you have to do is just

               9    serve a notice for this deposition.

              10           MR. DUFF:  We did already.

              11           THE COURT:  Send that to the clerk of the

              12    courthouse in Virginia, and they'll give you a number

              13    where a subpoena can be issued, and that subpoena can be

              14    issued and used on the person.

              15                 This is the Uniform Taking of Foreign

              16    Depositions Act, nothing more than that.

              17           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  All right.  Okay.

              18           THE COURT:  And it's a very simple process.  And

              19    what you do is you've got to hire a court reporter.  I

              20    used to just -- give this to the court reporter, who would

              21    get the subpoena served and make that a part of their

              22    charge, you see.

              23           MR. DUFF:  Just for clarification of our record,

              24    your Honor, the motion that was up this morning was to

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                            12

               1    quash the subpoena.  I understand that you're denying that

               2    because it's with respect to -- in other words, we are not

               3    foreclosed from taking this witness' new deposition.

               4           THE COURT:  Okay.  You can go ahead and operate on

               5    the subpoena that you've done.  But if the witness doesn't

               6    appear, they travel to Virginia, and you're going to have

               7    to pay their legal fees and their travel expenses for a

               8    deposition that doesn't go ahead.

               9           MR. DUFF:  I understand.  We're not going to do

              10    that, obviously.  We're going to --

              11           THE COURT:  If you have a local subpoena served,

              12    then you're going to be insulated from the witness not

              13    appearing, and he's not going to be able to charge you

              14    with funds.

              15           MR. DUFF:  No, I agree.  That's the way we'll

              16    proceed.

              17           THE COURT:  Okay.

              18           MR. BUSTAMANTE:  Thank you, your Honor.

              19           MR. DUFF:  Thank you, your Honor.

              20    (Proceedings concluded.)

              21

              22

              23

              24

                             BISTANY REPORTING SERVICE  (312) 280-0825

                                                                            13

               1    STATE OF ILLINOIS  )

               2                       )  SS:

               3    COUNTY OF C O O K  )

               4

               5

               6

               7              I, NANCY L. BISTANY, a Certified Shorthand

               8    Reporter of the State of Illinois, do hereby certify that

               9    I reported in shorthand the proceedings had at the hearing

              10    aforesaid, and that the foregoing is a true, complete and

              11    correct transcript of the proceedings of said hearing as

              12    appears from my stenographic notes so taken and

              13    transcribed under my personal direction.

              14              IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I do hereunto set my hand

              15    February 21, 2011, at Chicago, Illinois.

              16

              17

              18

              19                   Certified Shorthand Reporter

              20                   Registered Professional Reporter

              21                   Federal Certified Realtime Reporter

              22                   CSR No. 84-1857