    Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:28:04 -0800 (PST)
    From: Roger Hill <hillrogert@yahoo.com>
 Subject: Re: Thanks Neal - Got an article for you to read here.
      To: Neal Puckett <neal@puckettfaraj.com>
Cc: hmasten@gmail.com, lauren.f.hill@gmail.com, Kerry Frederick <Kerry.Frederick@northhighland.com>

Neal,

I had planned to win him over with charm, solid facing movements, a good haircutÂand fresh breath : )ÂDidn't really work out too well. I was well rehearsed, did not let him take me off my course (thought he tried a few times) and got what needed to be said out. The CG knew what he was going to do before I showed up tonight. He had an outline on his desk which he referred to and had about 20 minutes with COL Johnson on a video conference before I reported. COL Johnson was there to hear it all. I'm sure he had some choice words for the CG during the three intersessions we took over the 3.5 hours Larry and I were up there. The worst part is that he was pretty mean towards LT Kay. "LT,Âyou are wasting my time!" And he did not want to hear about any of the witness intimidation and unlawful command influence that went on. He attempted to brush it aside even after he agreed to listen to what Larry had to say and even after I signed the article 15 stating that I wanted someone to speak on my behalf regarding that specific issue. I felt that a dialogue regarding how unobjective the investigation was as a whole was a legitimate topic. The CG thought otherwise, or at least did not want to admit to what had been going on under his nose. Whatever good feelings I had for division are now gone. 0 for 3 now from battalion, brigade and now division.

BelowÂis my draft plea for a general discharge.ÂÂMy computer isn't allowing attachments right now. I plan to submit this with appropriate enclosures tomorrow AM.Â

I want to use the draft plea as a white paper I can send "as is" toÂa lot of the folks (friends and family) that haveÂvolunteered to lend a handÂduring this time. I'd like to draft an email with the Post article as a part of that email, then attach this draft plea in memorandum format as a word document so that people can seeÂatÂfaceÂvalue the following: (1) what type of discharge I am fighting for and why I deserve it (the header includes and address to HRC for those that feel inclined to send fan mail in that direction : ), (2)Âwhat led up to theÂevents in question and why I made the decisions I made andÂ(3) why Afghanistan is going so poorly for the lower level commands on the ground in order to better serve future units to be deployed to the OEF theater.
ÂÂ
I would appreciate any tips or talking points you think ought to be addressed in the email.ÂÂLength may appear to be an issue, but I personally think that the length of the memo is not a problem for the following reasons: (1) COL Christine Stark plans to send this to the War College to generate interest among senior leaders and faculty there (she just finished teaching there less than a year ago), (2) I plan to send this to all of my infantry classmates and former basic course students to generate interest, (3) it paints a complete picture (one shot one kill) and allows for dissemination to the widest audience to include thoseÂwho are interested in filing congressionals or senatorial inquiries on our behalf.Â

I saw P.J.Âtwo days ago. ÂHe's flying out back to Nashville today. He's pretty excited and I think he, Larry Kay and myselfÂmay work together for future publications over this situation.Â

LaurenÂand I have worked our budget. CG only took 4K from me.ÂÂAs it turns out, my bonus was paid off in May of 08. WeÂstill want to keep you on the pay roll and will find ways to make the payments work. The latest additions to the expense "roll up" yourÂbook keeper sent out should get paid offÂpretty quickly. Lauren'sÂall over that.Â

Thanks and talk to you soon. Memo/white paper for your comments below.. As soon as I get your comments I'll push it out for dissemination.

Roger

MEMORANDUM THRU Commander, CJTF-101, Bagram AB, Afghanistan, APO AE 09354
FOR Commander, Human Resources Command (AHRC-OPD-A),
200 Stovall Street, Alexandria, VA 22332-0478
SUBJECT:Â Statement Regarding Characterization of ServiceâCPT Roger T. Hill
1. ÂI am respectfully requesting consideration for an upgraded discharge. I understand that the terms of my resignation to include the potential for an Other than Honorable Discharge (OTHD) characterization of service.. ÂÂIn short, I would ask that the five day period leading to this action not be used as the sole basis to characterize my nine years of active duty service, plus four years at the U.S. Military Academy. At a minimum, I am requesting a General characterization of service. Alternatively, I would ask you to consider suspending the action so that I may pass along my lessons learned to my peers. It is my hope that after reviewing the circumstances of my case, you will find that my actions were not done with malice, but rather as nothing short of honorable intentions with the end state of safeguarding my men.
2. Prior Military Service: Three of my seven years of marriage have been spent overseas, to include a twelve month tour in Korea. ÂIn addition to my most recent tour as a company commander in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) in 2008, I had also completed a twelve month combat tour as a part of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). For my duty and performance in Iraq, I was awarded the Bronze Star and the Combat Infantrymanâs Badge. While in Iraq, I served on multiple Transition Teams based out of Qayyarah of the Nineweh province and Ramadi of the Al Anbar province where I mentored and fought alongside Iraqi infantry units from the platoon level up to brigade level staff. ÂIn addition to the above awards, I am also Airborne, Air Assault and Ranger qualified. ÂI have been awarded the Expert Infantryman's Badge, three Army Commendation Medals, and three Overseas Ribbons as well as a number of other awards and medals during my over twelve years of collective Army Service. ÂI also served in the Old Guard as a platoon leader and executive officer from 2002 to 2004. I had the privilege of being hand selected to serve as the Officer in Charge (OIC) for the funerals of many dignitaries, to include serving as the Guard of Honor OIC for former President Reagan. My dress blues coat is currently on display at the Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California. I have also served as a platoon leader (mechanized and rifle), assistant S-3 and as an Infantry Officer Basic Course instructor. As reflected by all of my Officer Evaluation Reports (OERs), I was considered a top performer in every position that I held. Finally, I graduated with a Bachelorâs of Science degree in Environmental Engineering from the United States Military Academy.Â
3. Current OEF Deployment (2008): After two separate rotations to the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) my company, Dog Company 1-506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR), deployed to Wardak, Afghanistan in early March of 2008. Three other companies from my battalion split the Ghazni province into three separate company areas of responsibility (AOR). My company, the smallest infantry company in the Brigade, was responsible for the entire province of Wardak. Wardak, a province the size of Connecticut, was geographically the largest AOR in the Brigade. Wardakâs total population was in excess of 525,000 people; consequently leaving our company and our partnership Afghan National Security Forces (ANSF) with a 1:525 peace keeping force to population ratio, well beyond the guidelines for establishing a successful counterinsurgency in accordance with FM 3-24. ÂWardak was also one of the most kinetic areas of responsibility in the brigade. Our company suffered thirty wounded in action (WIA) and two killed in action (KIA) during our six months in Wardak. The two KIAs occurred just days before the events in question. Our companyâs total combat power was just under ninety personnel and with those ninety Soldiers I was tasked to lead and bring unity to all International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) efforts along the lines of: security, governance, development, and information operations throughout the province. Despite the emotional and physical toll on my company, camaraderie was highâwhich was reflected in my companyâs retention rate (the highest in the Brigade).
a. The unit my company relieved had spent nearly six months in Wardak, and prior to that unitâs arrival to Wardak in fall of 2007, the U.S./NATO presence in the province of Wardak had been scarce at best. ÂSome of the most horrific combat action occurred in this AOR. In fact, it was the province of Wardak in which a platoon from the 2-508 PIR had suffered the only loss in a decisive engagement to the Anti Afghan Forces (AAF) to date. This platoon had been chased out of a sub-valley in Wardak named Jalrez by over one hundred AAF in an eight kilometer long ambush resulting in fourteen U.S. WIA and two gun trucks destroyed. Our initial intelligence reports cited that the enemy forces that had been allowed safe haven in Wardak since the start of the war in 2001 and had unhampered in its ability to acquire nearly 2,000 fighters. My company experienced even greater enemy threats and activity during our six months in Wardak.
b. In mid-August my company suffered the worst possible outcome in combat: two KIAs, 1LT Donnie Carwile and SPC Paul Conlon, as a result of an improvised explosive device (IED) initiated ambush along HWY 1. A mere week later, my company was tasked to serve in a battalion-led shaping effort with Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force (CJSOTF) in Jalrez Valley. The operation start time was delayed multiple times due to several confirmed intelligence leaks, all of which originated from forward operating base (FOB) Airborne. ÂAs the operation ORDU was being executed, a counter intelligence (CI) team, along with the Dog Company 1SG, conducted a FOB Airborne centric operation consisting of intelligence-based polygraph and cell phone inspection screenings for over seventy local nationals that worked on the FOB. ÂThe technology used to conduct these screenings was classified, but the information was readily provided to us by the CI team who advised our efforts. The number of local nationals on our FOB was nearly more than what existed in my company; a ratio of almost 1:1. The number of local nationals was necessary because, in addition to our combat mission, our battalion had also tasked our company with expanding the FOBâs capacity to fit a battalion plus in the near future. ÂThe expansion effort mirrored what one might see on any general industrial construction site. This was something that my infantry Soldiers were neither trained nor equipped to accomplish. We did our best to complete this mission, but were required to maintain a large local national workforce to assist our efforts. ÂMaintaining this large of a local national work force had obvious security risks associated with it, especially since we were not provided with an adequate means to conduct background checks. ÂThroughout our time in Wardak, my company was forced to man additional static locations throughout the province. In addition to FOB Airborne, my company was solely responsible for three other combat out posts (COPs). Consequently, and to our detriment, my four platoon company, with each platoon securing a COP or part of a FOB, meant that my company was tactically fixed. As a result, we had no real ability to react to the enemy, especially in terms of a quick reaction force (QRF). Our nearest route clearance package (RCP) and explosive ordinance disposal (EOD) teams were over 130 kilometers away at our battalion headquarters in Ghazni. Both of these teams specialized in finding, identifying and neutralizing improvised explosive device (IED) threats. This was contrary to what I learned in every Army school I ever attended: fix the enemy and not yourself. Upon confronting my battalion commander about the lack of tactical foresight and risks that resulted from his decisions to establish two additional platoon COPs, I was told by my battalion commander that he knew ââ exactly what he was doing to Dog Company.â My battalion commander followed that statement by saying, âI need to increase significant activities (SIGACTs), enemy activity, in your AOR so that the brigade commander will fight to have the battalion (1-506th PIR) headquarters placed at FOB Airborne instead of FOB Sharana.â Needless to say, I was shocked by what I had just heard, as it was apparent that my battalion commander wanted me to openly sacrifice my menâs safety and potentially their lives so that he could âsellâ the next move for his battalion headquarters. ÂI was more upset with this information because it was a cumulative train of thought by my battalion commander. Previously, my battalion commander took my company âtrollingâ for firefights in Wardak, at a significant risk to my men. The underlying purpose was to add to my battalion commanderâs desire to score both a Purple Heart and the ability to state that he has been in the most troops in contacts (TICs). It was at that precise moment that I realized I was now no longer protecting my men from just the enemy outside our gates.
c. As the commander of Dog Company, I openly expressed my concerns with my commander by seeking a dialogue with him. However, this simply never occurred, despite my best attempts with both the brigade and battalion commanders. As ordered, I always executed his guidance when my commander finalized his decisions. It was not until brigadier general (BG) Milley, the deputy commanding general of operations (DCGO), stepped in that I received any relief or understanding of our manpower crisis. Not only was my company fixed in the largest and one of the most kinetic AORs, but three of those four platoons were not really platoons at all. Three of my four platoons were down to eleven to thirteen men each, a number which included medics and forward observers (FOs). ÂEvery mission was further constrained by manning requirements. For instance, the CJTF 101 policy regarding minimal convoy requirements provided that all convoys must have at least four gun trucks. While I understood the rationale for this policy (a National Guard crew that was mutilated in Tangi Valley, Wardak), the requirement was not ascertainable given my limited manpower. ÂI was given hard choices between securing FOBs and convoy requirements. Again, I brought this to my battalion commanderâs attention, but I was repeatedly told to simply âmake it happenâ with three gun trucks despite the divisionâs policy. ÂI feared the consequences of an ultimate Catch-22. ÂEach static location was at a high risk due to the limited number of U.S. Soldiers versus the number of enemy in the vicinity of each of those areas. 107 mm rockets, rocket propelled grenades (RPGs) and machine gun fire were frequently used against these COPs. The most kinetic of those COPs was the outpost located just inside the Jalrez Valley. It was in the Jalrez Valley that we had come to take most of our casualties, the same Jalrez Valley in which the unit before us had suffered so many casualties. I fought to close this COP on numerous occasions. I attempted to speak to both my battalion and brigade commanders regarding my growing concerns over the extremely high risks that we were assuming due to a gross lack of combat power and resources. ÂMy concerns were ignored until BG Milley visited COP Conlon. Even BG Milley recognized that the threat against that outpost was so great that it resulted in being closed down the next day due to its potential for being over run by the much larger enemy force in the area. ÂIronically, this was the position I attempted to take with my command long before BG Milleyâs visit. Soon after, my company was subjected to clear retaliation for openly agreeing with the decision to close the COP.Â
d. As the month of August began, our human intelligence collection team (HCT) began to receive a number of reports citing recent efforts by the enemy to plan and execute a complex catastrophic attack against one of our four static locations. Most of the dozen or so source based intelligence reports put FOB Airborne and the COP in Jalrez as the enemyâs primary targets. Reliability of our past human intelligence (HUMINT) or source based intelligence was approximately eighty percent. As the commander, I determined that threat of a complex suicide attack was likely.Â
e. Several factors played into my threat assessment at that time. (1) FOB Airborne and all its tenants were at an increased vulnerability because we were attempting to conduct relief in place (RIP) operations with another company in our battalion. Dog Company had only been given a total of fourteen days to conduct this RIP. The short amount of time allotted for this RIP only increased the amount of risk being assumed as we attempted to move our sister company, Able Company 1-506th PIR, into Airborne and prepare our company for movement to Khowst province. ÂAs we began to conduct RIP operations, I was reminded of a conversation with BG Milley and became similarly concerned about a possible repeat of patrol base Wanat http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/world/asia/04military.html?_r=1&ref=world or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Wanat where Afghan trusted agents were said to have assisted with coordinating the attack that led to nine KIA and twenty seven WIA. Â(2) We had also verified that both the Afghan National Army (ANA) and Afghan National Police (ANP) had been effectively infiltrated by the enemy. Less than two weeks prior, we interdicted four vehicle born improvised explosive devices (VBIEDs), one of which causing five wounded in action alone. The suicide threat was proven to be alive and very real in the area just outside FOB Airborne. ÂThis threat was ultimately materialized in November at COP Sayad Abad, where a dump truck full of explosives detonated at the ECP. Nine Soldiers were WIA and Sayad Abad base was leveled. (3) Less than three weeks prior we also caught several ANA in the act of stealing night vision goggles (NVGs), government computers along with other personal electronic equipment that was assigned to or belonged to U.S. Soldiers on FOB Airborne. The Soldiers from this ANA battalion had just arrived to replace a previous ANA battalion we had worked with for over two months. The ANA stood guard on half of the eight guard towers that spanned the perimeter of FOB Airborne. We were forced to allocate combat power from our company just to ensure that the ANA were not vacating their towers during guard rotations, which was a common problem. This only served to enhance my overall concern of the enemy conducting a successful suicide attack on the FOB.
f. Upon completion of Operation ORDU and the local national screenings as a part of that operation, a total of twelve detainees were taken due to confirmed ties to the Taliban. One of the most critical infiltrations included my own personal interpreter, and a person whom I considered a dear and close friend, Noori Noorula. ÂÂNot only was my unit betrayed, but I was as well. He was considered a trusted agent and a Dog Company member. ÂOnce the local nationals were determined to be infiltrators, my company executive officer (1LT Kay) reported these detainees to our battalion headquarters. Not only did he report the status of the detainees, but he also repeatedly asked for guidance on what to do with the local nationals in accordance with standard protocol. Simply put, Dog Company did not have the manpower or resources to handle these local national men. Our requests for assistance were responded with only excuses and delays. Initially, all of these detainees were meant to be Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) detainees because initially the commander of the CJSOTF operation had agreed to detain, process and transport all insider threats found on FOB Airborne as a part of the Operation ORDU. ÂOEF detainees are technically âbetterâ for everyone because it means that the U.S. has control of the detainees for interrogations. The decision to not take, process or transport these insider threat detainees was made by the CJSOTF commander just before all combat forces left Jalrez Valley. Literally, as they passed the entry control point (ECP) of FOB Airborne, Dog Company was left with all twelve detainees. As the commander, I had no choice but to order the detainment of all remaining confirmed insider threat local nationals on the FOB and begin processing them under ISAF guidelines. ÂI along with my company executive officer (XO) and our partnership Operational Detachment Alpha (ODA) team leader repeatedly attempted seek guidance and or assistance to finding a solution to the processing of the detainees. My XO made several attempts on a daily basis to battalion regarding the matter. Again, to no avail. Simultaneously, the ODA team leader did the same via his OEF contacts. The ODA team on FOB Airborne was also an ISAF unit. I consulted the battalionâs detainee operations officer (1LT Scheppler), who was on our FOB for the entirety of the operation. The detainee operations officer relayed to me that even if the detainees were sent up U.S. channels of the ISAF detainee chain of custody that it would ultimately result in their release. Dog Company had seen this happen at least a half a dozen times in the past. Orders from our higher command to release these detainees often meant taking fighters that we had captured in the act of ambushing our platoons back to where they were captured. Obviously, the point of capture was also often known ambush locations. This was a very sore point of contention for our company, especially after 1LT Carwile and SPC Conlonâs death.
g. Our only hope was to garner support from our battalion headquarters or transfer the detainees to the NDS. Unfortunately, the national directorate of security (NDS), which is Afghanistanâs national intelligence agency, had already stated that they would release the detainees because the U.S. forces would not provide them with the classified information justifying their detention or their ties to AAF. Although CJTF sent the CI team down to Airborne, we didnât receive a follow-on team of OEF personnel to conduct detainment operations. This was despite the fact that the fragmentary order (FRAGO) from our division command clearly stated that the CI team would be complimented with physical detentions and interrogator personnel. None of the intelligence gathered by the CI team or the methods used to gain that intelligence was releasable to the ANSF due to its classification. Therefore, the NDS could not keep those detainees in accordance to their operational guidelines. As we approached the end of our ninety six hour window of custody, I grew very concerned about the possibility of having to free these detainees due to the ISAF ninety-six hour time standard. Once again, Dog Company was in a Catch-22 situation. Our calls to battalion resulted in zero progress.Â
h. We had previously made contact with the NDS, but they did not show to pick up the detainees as promised. ÂWhile contemplating the thought of being forced to free these detainees who knew everything about our FOB, its inner workings and its security measures in addition to the already likely threat of a suicide attack on one of our COPs or FOB Airborne, I determined that the threat against my men at that time was imminent and decided to take action. By the last twenty-four hour period, we had given up on the possibility of our battalion headquarters retrieving the detainees. The battalion detainee operations OIC had even been on FOB Airborne for the entirety of the operation ORDU and his attempts to assistance in the matter made no difference. Desperation was setting in. It was in the last twenty-four hour period that I made the command decision that it was necessary to acquire some intelligence on the early warning network to which these detainees belonged. Giving these detainees to the NDS was equal to simply setting them free; free to attack U.S. forces. Again, I made a command decision that it was necessary to pull timely intelligence from the detainees myself. They all possessed intimate knowledge of the inner workings of our unit, in particular my interpreter Noori. I felt that releasing them created an imminent threat to those on our FOB and our three platoon COPs.. Approximately twelve different source based human intelligence in the last month stated that the AAF in our area was planning a catastrophic suicide attack on one of our four static locations. We were just spread too thin for me to take any more risks and battalion left me with no choice. I made the command decision to question these detainees in an effort to gain intelligence that would allow us to disrupt this imminent attack and prevent future ambushes. A passive approach was simply not feasible. My ultimate goal was to limit future casualties and at the very least give the NDS enough evidence to keep the twelve in the ANSF branch of the ISAF chain of custody until our operational tempo (OPTEMPO), mission load, and threat level were reduced.Â
i. As the officer with overall responsible for the safety of all ISAF forces in Wardak, I felt that it was my duty to do anything within my power to maintain that safety in light of an impending attack. I made the command decision to utilize a variety of shock tactics to intimidate and scare those detainees into providing valuable intelligence that would allow U.S. forces to effectively disrupt the AAF who had inflicted so many casualties over the past year. In my mind, we escalated force as necessary to maintain the situation. In hindsight, we may have been too aggressive. ÂNot to excuse my actions completely, I will note that my actions result in obtaining valuable and potentially life saving intelligence on the AAFâs early warning network. An entire link analysis of the early warning network as it originated from FOB Airborne was obtained from multiple detainees as a result of my actions. This intelligence also gave the NDS enough evidence to maintain custody of and even transfer these detainees to their NDS headquarters in Kabul. Â
j. Despite holding the detainees for ninety-six hours, the interrogations that we conducted lasted less than thirty minutes. Prior to and following this short time period, these twelve detainees were returned to their normal routine of sleeping, eating, smoking and restroom breaks. My men were not as fortunate. While the detainees slept in a hardened building, my men continued to secure the FOB and with missions. Although many slept in tents, they rarely had the occasion to utilize their bunks. My men frequently missed meals because the mission did not allow for even breaks. We were all fatigued, having worked 18+ hour days prior to Operation ORDU, and a full three days with little to no sleep leading up to and during the operation. Our mission was so demanding, most of my Soldiers were only afforded the short time at the Fallen Comrade Ceremony to grieve and recover from the loss of 1LT Carwile and SPC Conlon.
k. ÂIt has since been decided that a brigade minus would be headquartered out of FOB Airborne. Now, over 1,200 Soldiers are being brought to Wardak to be headquartered out of FOB Airborneâin essence replacing what was once a mission conducted by the 89 dog-tired Soldiers of Dog Company 1-506th PIR for six brutal months. These numbers alone should serve as an obvious indicator as to how poorly resourced and dire the situation in Wardak was for the men of Dog Company 1-506th PIR.Â
l. I am respectfully requesting that you not judge my entire career on my command decision that lasted no longer than thirty minutes. This five day period is only a short glimpse of my entire career. ÂUpon reading this synopsis of the events in question, it is my hope that you will see that my intentions were nothing short of honorable and in keeping with the principles of a United States Army officer. I know for a fact that the families of the men in my company appreciate my willingness to put their loved ones above my own career. I ask that you not view the actions I took during the five day period in question as the defining moments of my over twelve years of exemplary service to the Army. I readily admit to violating U.S. Army policy in order to safeguard my men. I understand that the U.S. Army cannot condone these violations on the whole; however; as the commander on the ground responsible for all the allied personnel in Wardak, I would ask you to fully consider the enemy situation and the facts in my case. I made a command decision based on the best information I had at the time, and was faced with seemingly limited options and no support.Â
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
m.ÂÂ Again, I ask that you consider my career as a wholeâand further ask for some level of understanding about the impossible mission that I was given in Wardak.ÂÂ I believe that I could remain a valuable asset for the U.S. Army.ÂÂ The U.S. taxpayer has invested a lot in my education and training; I owe them my experience.ÂÂ I have learned valuable lessons, but also know that my nine-year career will forever be impacted by a mere thirty minute time period.
4. Request: ÂA General discharge characterization; or in the alternative, a suspended separation in order to fulfill my military obligation.
5. If you have any questions or wish to discuss my request, my AKO account is roger.t.hill@us.army.mil.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ROGER T. HILL ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ CPT, IN